Monday 7 May 2012

I surprise a near-naked man


Friday night & Saturday – 4 & 5 May

As we wait on the platform for the night train to Urganch, the longest goods train I've ever seen passes through the station, carrying timber and who knows what in the closed metal carriages. Trains in themselves don't interest me, but this one goes on and on and on, carriage after carriage. Reg says there were 3 engines at the front of the train, to give sufficient power to pull it.

Finally our train comes and we're glad to get on. It's 11.15 pm. The carriage floor on these trains is always about 6 feet (nearly 2 metres) above the platform, and is reached by several steep metal steps. We do our usual thing – Reg lifts my astronomically heavy suitcase up the steps (sometimes a kind person gives a hand, but not tonight). Then we get the rest of the luggage on the train. Reg goes off to find our compartment/cabin, trundling the huge suitcase in front of him along the narrow corridor, while I wait in the boarding area, away from the door, with the rest of the luggage. Then Reg returns and we together take the rest of the luggage to our compartment.

The cabin looks slightly more modern than on the previous train, when we had our worst experience yet of a night train. This time we're nowhere near the toilet, which, while it has its drawbacks in the middle of the night, means there's no stench of stale urine. Unfortunately there's not a lot of room to put our big suitcase on this train, but it's not a problem when there's only 2 of us in the cabin. It should be fun when we get to go on the night trains in China, where there's no first class (of course) only soft sleepers and 4 to a cabin – I hope there'll be room for my suitcase.

We wait for what usually happens next – the carriage guard (the train guard who looks after our carriage) passes us 2 plastic bags, each containing starched white bedding – 2 sheets and 2 pillow cases. We set to making up our beds for the night. The train's moving now so I decide to go to the toilet before settling down to sleep. Reg is already in bed with his eyes closed. I leave the light on and shut the cabin door. Once the door is shut, for privacy you can't see inside the cabin.

As I return from the toilet, I realise that I forgot to note our cabin number. I know we were about a quarter of the way down the long carriage, but with panic I realise I don't know which is our compartment. All the compartment doors are shut and the carriage guard is nowhere to be seen – besides I feel too stupid to tell him I can't remember where my cabin is!! I call

Reg! Reg!”

softly, but there's no reply. He's probably asleep already. I can't even tell which compartments still have a light on, as the doors shut tightly. Panic rises, but I realise that if I don't want to spend the night in the corridor, I have to take a guess. People can lock their door from the inside – I hope everyone (except us of course) has locked their cabin door.

I gingerly open by a few inches the door I think might be ours. A big middle-aged man, who appears to be practically naked, is looking at his laptop. He lifts his eyes towards me. I mumble, “So sorry, sorry” and click shut the door before he can say anything. I'm hot and sweaty now. Gathering courage, I open the next carriage door. The light's on, and I breathe a sigh of relief. There's Reg, lying on his bed. He may have been asleep but I shake him gently and try, through uncontrollable laughter, to tell him what happened.

You twot,” he says, unsurprised at my nocturnal antics. We both settle down for the night and I make a mental note to never, ever forget my cabin number again.

Our night train journey is smoother than last time and we sleep quite well. When we arrive in Urganch we make our usual trek along the dusty platform, expecting a driver to be waiting for us at the station entrance. When will we ever learn that when we're told a car will meet us at the station this never (with the exception of once, in Moscow) materialises? A taxi driver says he'll take us to Khiva, 30 kilometres away for 20,000 soms ( about £5). This is really cheap and we can't believe our luck.

It turns out we should've trusted our instincts. When we're in his car with our luggage installed in the boot, and our small backpacks inside the car, he entices a couple of young Japanese tourists to share the ride with us. The driver puts their luggage on his roof rack. It makes sense really to share the ride, but he didn't ask us, I'm squashed in the back of the car with 2 others and hand luggage, and there's no seatbelts, front or back – and the taxi driver is making double the asking price for the ride.

The man drives really fast, between 2 lanes most of the way. He slows down as he reaches Khiva. Reg tells him the name of our hotel, Hotel Islambek, several times, but all the driver replies is

Hotel Khiva, yes!”

When we arrive in Khiva no cars are allowed in the central area. The driver parks his car and helps us with our luggage, walking with a confidence and determination which make us think he knows where he's going. The Japanese couple, who've been walking with us, say cheerio as they see a restaurant and want lunch. On we walk; the driver is wheeling the heavy suitcase, Reg is carrying the huge backpack, and I have the 2 smaller ones, the heavy one on my back and my purple one on my front. It's very hot.

We arrive at a hotel which isn't ours. The taxi driver walks up to it and starts to go in with my suitcase. I stop him.

This isn't our hotel,” I say. “This isn't Hotel Islambek.”

Reg shows a man standing at the door of the hotel our piece of paper. Then follows a conversation between the man at the door and our taxi driver – it seems that the hotel man is telling our driver where Hotel Islambek is. Then the taxi driver says something to the hotel man, and the hotel man seems to be asking us if we want to stay at his hotel.   We say no, quite emphatically. We're booked into the Hotel Islambek, and we've already paid for it.

We trundle, with our luggage in the hot sun all the way back to the car, get in, and the driver finally takes us to the Hotel Islambek, asking a couple of people on the way for more directions. Never have I been so relieved to arrive at our designated accommodation!
























































No comments:

Post a Comment