Saturday 26 May 2012

My parcel gets posted at last!


Thursday 24 May

Oh dear! Reg has a squidgy stomach today, so out comes the Immodium. (He's been fine up until now, and like me, didn't want to start taking the Paraclens (gut protecting tablets) until he had to. I've been taking them since I had a dodgy stomach some weeks back, and, touch wood, have been ok since. Some Chinese food is very spicy by English standards, though Reg is normally ok with spicy foods. We decide on one “big breakfast” between us, as Reg is hungry, so should be ok eating egg and toast. We talk to a Canadian couple over breakfast; they are visiting their daughter who is teaching in China. We've actually met quite a few English and American (and now Canadian) parents who are visiting children who are working in China.

It's raining lightly; we haven't seen much rain since we've been travelling. We're still really tired; however we sum up the energy to go to the large China Post to try for the second time to post my parcel of warmer clothes back to England (the smaller post office in Lanzhou woouldn't take it).

I've done up my parcel really securely in 2 black bags, entirely covered with wide sellotape. I needn't have bothered. I watch the person in front of me hand over some unwrapped items to the counter clerk. The clerk finds a (brand new) cardboard box exactly the right size, puts in the items, then deftly and expertly wraps the parcel with that hard, tight plastic tape, the sort that bounces back at you like a metal tape measure when you try to throw it away. The clerk also with one flick of the wrist covers all the edges of the customer's parcel with sellotape. She pays him 2 yuan (20p) for this service; she then has to take her parcel to another counter to be weighed and paid for.

My turn now and the counter assistant does exactly the same with my parcel. I pay my 2 yuan, and take my expertly wrapped parcel to the weighing counter. I have to fill out a customs form, which takes a bit of time, and say what I want done with my parcel if they can't deliver it. I decide, in the event of non-delivery to my home address, to ask for it to be given to my next door neighbour ( I hope you don't mind, if you're reading this Pam and Alan). I certainly don't want it to be returned to sender – the Hang Tang hostel in Xi'an, China.

I send the parcel home by surface mail, which will probably take a few months, and costs about £18. Reg thinks he might send home some books, too. I'm relieved to walk out of the post office without my parcel; not only will my huge suitcase now be a little lighter, there's room for the dress material I hope to buy in Vietnam.

We were going to to cycle around the walls of Xi'an this afternoon, but it's still raining a little, and Reg is not feeling so good. We have a rest, then go out in search of new in-ear headphones for Reg. He finds some good ones, and knows he is paying more than he would on the internet, but he needs them now. His music is important to him.

We return to the small cafe we went to yesterday, as I enjoyed my meal so have the same again (that's me all over). Reg just has a cup of tea; his tummy is still playing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment