Saturday 23 June 2012

A Dutch family living in India

Friday 22 June


There would be very little to write about today (we don't go into Hoi An in the morning, we don't try on any clothes, we don't go cycling as we'd thought we might, we do go on the beach) - except for the fact that on the shuttle bus to Hoi An Town in the evening, we get talking to a Dutch family who are living in India, and have been for the past 2 years.  The husband has a lot in common with Reg, being an aircraft engineer working for Airbus; and the wife is doing voluntary work, teaching English to children in India.  Their children (a girl aged 18 and a boy aged 15), are at an international school in that country.  The young woman has actually just finished her education and is going home (although they are Dutch, home is in Munich, Germany) to work during a gap year and to apply for university.  The young man has another 2 years of studying to do at the international school in India.

What memories this brought back for me!  I tell the Dutch woman and her daughter (who are sitting behind me in the minibus - Reg is busy in conversation about aero-engines with the Dutch man, and the young lad is politely listening) that over 40 years ago I spent 3 years at an international school in Singapore, from the age of 15 to 18, while my Dad worked out there for the Ministry of Defence.  He was a cog in the wheel which had the task of handing the Naval dockyard over from the British to the Singapore government.

I reflect (though don't mention this) on the wonderful time I had had in Singapore all those years ago, being one of very few Bristish girls out there, and being surrounded by servicemen from the Army, Navy and Royal Marines. I and the females among my classmates were thoroughly spoilt in this environment, and had a big shock awaiting us when we returned to England, where we had a lot more competition at dances and discos!

Things have obviously been very different for the young Dutch woman at an international school in India, but she has one advantage over my situation - she'll be able to keep in touch with her classmates, who like mine came from all over the world, via Facebook.  I am still in touch with just one friend from my Singapore days.





No comments:

Post a Comment