Wednesday 11 April 2012

Brussels to Berlin

Travelling by train all the way from Brussels to Berlin. This takes most of the day. Unfortunately we didn't realise that there are 4 railway stations in Brussels and guess what – we went to the wrong one! Had to quickly get into another taxi to take us to the right station. Traffic is slower with the public transport strike (everyone is going to work in private cars) but we make it on time. We have to change trains twice on our journey to Berlin. Lunch is a Camembert baguette and Pringles bought at Aachen station in Germany. From Aachen to Koln we have our first experience of travelling on a double decker train. The trains and stations in Germany are extremely clean, as you would expect in Germany – but one of their trains was 5 minutes late! Mmmmp. Not what we expect from German efficiency!

Orange have texted me to tell me that in the EU I can still text home for 10p. Reg looks at the beautiful countryside out of the train window while I busy myself sending loads of texts, thanking the good number of kind people who texted us “bon voyage” messages.

We're both still very tired,but relaxed. Reg is now fast asleep as I write this. Think I
will have a doze too. We are oap's, after all!

Am finishing writing this blog posting while sitting in the lounge area of the Circus Hostel in Berlin.  We've stayed here before - remember it, Elaine?  Just had pizza for dinner in the very busy fast pizza place across the road.  Delicious.

Tomorrow we travel to Wroclaw in Poland.  We leave Berlin at 9.45 am tomorrow and arrive in Wroclaw at about 3 pm.   We'll stay there till Sunday.

No, Ray, I'm not out of my comfort zone yet - German trains are smooth & clean with lovely toilets.  I think I'll be rating the trains we travel on by the state of the "little room"! And our accommodation so far has been clean and comfortable.  I'll let you know when things deteriorate!





No comments:

Post a Comment