Wednesday 11 April 2012

Departure day!!

 Our train was due to leave Parkway at 11.01am T. My reputation for not quite being on time went before me. My dear sister-in-law Rose arrived at about 10 past 10, and in her calm yet determined manner gave us occasional countdowns as to how many minutes we had left until 10.30, when we absolutely had to leave the house or risk missing the train. We managed to hang out the washing before we left (filling those time pockets which are what causes a late person's.. well ... lateness). Elaine would bring in the washing when she got home from work. Will she be cheering? A parent-free house at last! And for 3 and a half months! Elaine,let the party begin! Well, you do have those gorgeous cupcakes that Auntie Heather brought you yesterday, as she couldn't make you a birthday cake in March cos you were on Lent. Just right for sharing with friends.

We caught the train with 10 minutes to spare. Geoff, Rose's husband (Rose and Geoff are the grandparents of baby Joe who was born a week ago on my 60th birthday, clever niece Sarah, and clever baby),is sharing our journey with us as far as St Pancreas, where we catch the Eurostar, as he has to go to Paris on business. He goes there a lot and has decided he prefers the train to the plane. He brings his Dahon folding bike so gets off the Eurostar in Paris and cycles to his hotel, so benefits from some stress relieving exercise as well. Can't be bad.

We arrived in Brussels to a transport strike,but didn't have to wait too long for a taxi to take us from the station to our hotel. I thought a fight might break out between a taxi driver and a private car owner – the latter was coming up to people and trying to take the taxis' business. It pays to be aware of this practice, as the private car driver will come up to you in the taxi queue and say, “How many people?” Before you know it he's got you into a car where he'll centrally lock all the doors, and as there's no meter, he can charge you what he likes, and won't let you out until you've paid him. That happened to Reg in Warsaw.

The Brussels hotel was slick, sleek and of high quality, with chandeliers and a 12 foot wide red carpet out the front. Hotel Bristol Stephanie, part of the Thon chain, its really expensive for business users, but gives great deals for private travellers. A doorman came and got our bags and soon whisked them up to our room. I was impressed. Oh, bliss, to arrive at our first destination, and be able to relax, after all the stresses and strains of the past few weeks – the nightmare of obtaining visas, train tickets which couldn't be booked until just before the journey, organisations which didn't like Mastercard, and, suitcase handles falling off when you lift your packed suitcase off the bed. Now we could relax – and we did, by having (in the hotel) rabbit cooked “au nouveau cuisine”with red wine (as I don't often drink I had a pounding head the next morning as I did have rather more than usual), followed by rhubarb crumble with fruit compote - very exotic. I slept well for the first time in about a month. No longer was my head swimming with things I had to do before I went away (eg Minutes of the Worship Committee - I wouldn't have let you down,John,honest), last minute shopping, & people to see or phone before I left). My great-nephew had arrived safely and on my birthday(I never tire of repeating this fact) – so we could leave with hearts and minds at peace!

I mustn't get used to this luxurious living though - most of our accommodation is hostels - shared bathrooms etc etc.  Lovely for the first night though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment