Thursday 12 April 2012

We've arrived in Wroclaw!

We arrive in Wroclaw quite tired after 6 hours on the train, even though it was a very comfortable journey.  We have a system now for getting on and off trains.  Reg lifts my big wheelie suitcase and his backpack on and off transport and up and down stairs, and I manage my & his small backpack.  Moving on the straight is a different matter. Reg takes his luggage (large rucksack and small rucksack) and I wear my new purple backpack (which is supremely comfortable, thank you Elaine and your friend Kate), and scoot along beside my borrowed-from-my-lovely-sister 4 wheeled case, which goes reasonably fast on a smooth flat surface, despite containing everything but the kitchen sink, and therefore to my shame being extremely heavy.  This despite my being ruthless and routing out the 6 extra bottles of shampoo and conditioner and shower gel before we left home.

The "Flower Power" hostel (yes it is actually called that) in Wroclaw is absolutely lovely.  Small, friendly. clean, and provides proper towels! Yippee!  But I am tired and oh dear a bit niggly after our long train journey. I have another go at my lovely husband.  We decide to go into Wroclaw and the hostel receptionist recommends some restaurants and tells us which trams to get.  I can't wait to get out into the fresh air and to get walking, having been sitting on the train for so long.  I start off being friendly and polite, calm and patient while Reg engages into a long conversation about Wroclaw and Poland in general, and his Polish roots.  Reg is showing no signs of finishing the conversation and I'm getting hot and bothered, as I am too tired to follow this chat any longer.  In a gap in the conversation I say,"Shall be off then, dear?" but Reggie is engrossed in his dialogue with the hostel lady (he gets on well with everyone) and doesn't take the hint.  I say, "I'll see you downstairs" and feel the welcome rush of fresh air as I wait outside for Reg.  He follows after in a minute or 2 and there follows an angry tirade from me about his lack of sensitivity in ignoring my obvious need to get out into the fresh air.  We quickly make up though and take the tram into Wroclaw,  enjoying a delicious Polish meal (including those potato cakes, Rose, that we enjoyed so much in Prague).  We return to the hostel tired but happy, and enjoy a telephone conversation with George, Marianne and Elaine, who is over at G & M's tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment